To build muscle you need access to basic equipments that I have listed below. At the same time you need to eat more than your TDEE. Lastly, you need to (7-9) hours of undisturbed sleep everyday.
Here are 6 ways you can build muscle on a budget:
1)To build muscle on a budget you simply need the following equipments: An olympic rod, free weights, a pull-up and dip bar and a weighed belt. This will pretty much cover your entire body.
Building muscle with bodyweight training (like push-ups etc ) is possible upto a limit, but in order to keep gaining muscle you need to progressively overload. This will require you to either join a gym or have access to minimum equipments I have mentioned above.
To save cost when planning to join a gym, look for discounts on websites like Group-on etc. Gyms give massive discounts around the new-year time, so make sure you check for deals around that time.
2) The biggest cost saver is NOT to spend money on buying supplements and instead focus on fulfilling your nutrition requirement by eating a wholesome diet. To build muscle you simple need to eat slightly more calories than your body burns, at the same keeping your protein intake at around 1.4 to 2gms/kg of your bodyweight. For more information on how to gain weight and calculate your TDEE, click here. To know how much protein you really need, click here.
3) Another big money saver is NOT to eat out! I know this can be tough, but investing time in learning how to cook meals at home will ensure that you stay within your budget.
4) One another tip is to eat at least 50% of your calories from carbohydrate sources.Proteins like chicken, fish, etc can be expensive, same goes for fat sources like desi ghee. Focus more on eating chapatis, rice, potatoes to get most of your calories from. Common macronutrient breakdown for a muscle-building diet can be 60% Carbs, 20% Protein, 20% Fat.
5) Try and buy items in bulk and from wholesale vendors. Food products like Rice, Flour, Potatoes, Oatmeal can easily be stored for many months before they go bad, so do buy them in large quantities whenever you can!
6) Lastly,make sure to plan your meals in such a way that reduces wastage. Try and eat the same meals everyday! This will require you to buy few ingredients. The common item that usually go bad are the vegetables. Make sure to include them in most of your meals.
Follow these 6 tips and I can promise you that you can drastically reduce your cost when trying to build muscle.